Feb 05, 2024 By Walter Hartman

When it comes to the world of wine, Australia stands tall among the vines. Its rich history, unique terroir, and the legacy of old vines contribute significantly to the country’s prominence in the global wine scene. With flavors as vibrant as the Outback sun, Australian wines are taking the spotlight among wine lovers. Let’s embark on a fascinating journey exploring Australia’s old wine vines, understanding their origins, the impact of phylloxera, the significance of vine age on wine quantity and quality, and the key wine production areas that still cherish and nourish these ancient vines and the glorious Australian wine heritage....

READ MORE
Oct 31, 2023 By Walter Hartman

“Vines Love a Slope” So said Pliny the Elder in his encyclopedic work, “Natural History,” the first 10 books of which were published in 77 C.E. Wine was central to daily life in Roman times, both as a key source of potable, disease-free liquid (tartaric acid, naturally found in wine grapes, kills listeria and other […]...

READ MORE
Oct 26, 2023 By Walter Hartman

A Great Way To Avoid An Embarrassing BYO Evening One of the joys of dining out is going to a good restaurant that allows you to bring your own wine –something that’s special to you, maybe a wine you’ve selected carefully to match the occasion and the food. It’s a great way to show friends […]...

READ MORE
Oct 06, 2023 By Walter Hartman

How We Rate Wines About 80% of wines are not expert rated. For the remaining 20%, ratings are everything. There is a clear and direct correlation between scores and pricing. The general rule of thumb is that the higher the score, the higher the price, but some great deals exist (high rating with a reasonable […]...

READ MORE
May 07, 2023 By Walter Hartman

This is really about basics. The basic things you want to look for in a corkscrew, sometimes called a “wine key"...

READ MORE